Fifteen Joplin-area events and attractions will receive financial assistance in the form of a grant from the Joplin Convention and Visitors Bureau to help with promotion and publicity.
Funding comes from a 4% Joplin tax that visitors pay on hotel/motel bills. The CVB provides $140,000 of this revenue each year to help support events that promote a positive image of the community and attract out-of-town visitors who can patronize local hospitality businesses as well as events during the visit. .
Grant applications are reviewed by the CVB Advisory Board, and those applying for the funds make presentations and answer questions about their events. The board then makes recommendations on the amount of money to be provided to events approved for funding. City Council gave final approval to the grants on September 6.
This round of grants applies to events taking place between November 1, 2022 and October 31, 2023. Events taking place within 20 miles of Joplin are eligible. Applicants can be non-profit or for-profit organizations, but events must be open to the public.
Among the scoring criteria used to decide grants is the ability to increase attendance at an event or attraction as well as attract new visitors to Joplin 70 miles or more away.
The grants approved are:
• Joplin Memorial Run by Active Lifestyles Events Inc. to be held in May 2023, $5,500.
• Summer Roundup Triathlon by Rufus Racing LLC scheduled for July 8-9, 2023, $5,600.
• OCC Lecture Series 2023 by Ozark Christian College, $16,275.
• Monster Games by Midwestern Built CrossFit to be held in July 2023, $13,475.
• 18th Annual Joplin Disc Golf Club Four States Open, September 22-24, 2023, $6,000.
• Guilty by association by 4 State Trucks, September 22-23, 2023, $25,000.
• Mother Road Mayhem by Keg Media, May 5-7, 2023, $3,000.
• Juneteenth Regional Black Expo by East Town Dreams District, June 16-18, 2023, $2,000.
• ArtCon 2023 by the Neosho Arts Council, February 4, 2023, $3,400.
• Murphysburg Heritage Tourism by Historic Murphysburg Preservation Inc. July 15, 2023, $2,000.
• JOMO PrideFest by JOMO Pride Inc., September 8-10, 2023, in the amount of $7,500.
• Park Days Emancipation Celebration by the Emancipation Celebration Committee, August 4-6, 2023, $3,000.
• Freedom of Flight Museum promotion costs for 2023, $2,000.
• Jasper Vintage and Maple Leaf Tours by Joplin Trails Coalition, May 20 and October 13, 2023, respectively, $1,142.
• North Heights Porchfest by the North Heights neighborhood, October 3, 2023, $700.
Additionally, the Joplin Celebrations Commission will receive $25,000 for a community concert weekend to be held in July or August 2023 as part of Joplin’s 150th anniversary.
There is a balance of $18,408 in the grant fund that could be allocated with the approval of the CVB Board of Directors if an event sponsor deems additional funding is needed or if an event arises and could take place if funding were available.