DENVER (KDVR) – Juneteenth is celebrated annually on June 19 and commemorates the end of slavery in the United States
The holidays began in Galveston, Texas, when slaves learned of their freedom more than two years after the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation.
More and more cities have started to recognize Juneteenth as a public holiday in recent years, including Denver, whose council voted this year to mark the occasion as an annual commemorative holiday.
Denver Juneteenth celebration is one of the biggest in the United States – the music festival of June 17 – and neighboring towns will also have celebrations this year.
Tuesday June 15
- Music Day on June 17: Juneteenth eats at Cheba Hut. A portion of sales from one of the Colorado Cheba Hut locations will be used to fund Juneteenth Music Festival community programs for entrepreneurs and artists.
Wednesday June 16
- Black Pride Colorado: Strange Fruit of Excellence Black Gala. Wednesday, June 16, 8 p.m. Denver Botanical Garden.
Thursday June 17th
- Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Ensemble. Fort Collins Botanical Gardens. Performances at 5:30 p.m., 6:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Tickets.
Friday June 18
- Music Day on June 17: Broadcast the day before June 15. 2 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Music Day on June 17: R&B summer kicks off with 112. 5:30 p.m. – 10 p.m. Levitt Hall, Denver. Tickets.
saturday 19 june
- Music Day on June 17: Parade. Staged at 9:00 a.m. Depart at 11:00 a.m. Denver.
- Boulder Juneteenth County Day. 10:00 a.m. Virtual.
- Music Day on June 17: Street party. 12 pm-8pm Denver.
- With performances by: Danae Simone, Nat-V-Son, Dj Cyn, A Meazy, Check One’s Fonky Check’s Mix Band, DJ Dif’rent & DJ AUbreezy (Dynamic Daddy Daughter Duo, DJ Brother Jeff’s Cultural Center Experience, DJ Squizzy & Rob Drummer Ensemble T, DJ Jazzy Jeff
- Five culture points: Live panels, food, pop-up museum Juneteenth. Starts at 10:00 a.m. Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Theater, Denver.
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Pfizer COVID-19 Walk-In Vaccination Clinic. Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Amphitheater, 119 Park Avenue West.
- 12 p.m. The entertainment industry in black
- 2:00 p.m. Black Business and the impact of sport
- Aurora Juneteenth celebration. 1 pm-5pm Downtown in Aurora. Events program.
- Black Pride Colorado: Slide the show. Doors at 8 p.m. Showtime 10 p.m. Tracks, Denver.
Sunday 20 June
- Music Day on June 17: Street party. 2 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- With performances by: Absolute Gospel Praise Team, Deadly Penz, Conjunto Colores, Dj Cyn, Zanib. Chase the dream
- Pfizer COVID-19 Walk-In Vaccination Clinic. 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Cleo Parker Robertson Dance Amphitheater, 119 Park Avenue West.
- Black Pride Colorado: Slide Gospel Brunch. Sunday, June 20, 12 p.m. X Bar Denver.
If you notice that an event on June 17, 2021 in Colorado is missing from this list, be sure to let us know.
Suggest a correction